Tuesday, February 8, 2011

flyingwithoutwings

so this is Tuesday, February 8th & today's weather is a complete change from yesterday, which was sunny & bright with a great morning chill to the clean, delicious air! It's gloomy outside today and grey; reminds me of Seattle!

I'm in my office after having wolfed down a huge egg sandwich and I'm about to start my day. I recently started school again and will be starting a masters program in clinical psychology in March. Now, I'm finishing up the last of my prerequisites through a school in Seattle.

Life here in Alaska has been really great, so far. Serg recently pointed out every time I respond to someone about how I like Alaska, I end with "so far". That's exactly how this adventure feels, I'm really enjoying it but I'm taking one day at a time. It's definitely hard as I miss my friends, I miss being able to walk to amazing little boutiques in West Seattle or Capitol Hill. I miss the coffee shops and restaurants. I miss trader joe's most of all I think! But, we have an adorable house that we have decorated and made our own and it is really nice feeling like it's just the two of us on this adventure so you take it one day at a time and realize how blessed you are to be alive and healthy and in love and loved back!

We are traveling to Seattle later in February. Here's a list of musts: Ethiopian food, Zoka coffee as many times as possible, getting my hair did, getting my nails did, shopping for jeans as my other pairs are literally coming apart at the seams, (I HATE buying jeans!), seeing friends and my lovely parents, (you really do miss your Mom no matter how old you are!), cafe presse, seeing my friend's baby Job that I'm obsessed with, cocktails at zig zag, cocktails at sun liquor, going to the movies, (even though we have a theatre here it's not the same as a huge imax screen!), and finally, most beloved of all, target!

Either tonight or tomorrow, I'm making Cincinnati chili for dinner from a recipe I got in this month's bon apetit magazine. It's with lamb and sounds amazing. It's basically a jazzed up chili recipe on top of spaghetti! It sounds really great on such a gloomy day but I think I'm going to omit the kidney beans as 2 starches and lamb sound like a recipe for disaster if you ask me! I'm sure it'll still be great w/o the beans. Here it is if you're interested: http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2011/02/cincinnati_chili

Monday is vet day for our fattest cat; Lucy. She has this strange obsession with biting on what Serg calls her "knees". It's the upper part of her foot so I guess it's technically her knee, but it does not look very "knee" like. She's become obsessed with gnawing at it and I feel terrible because it looks red and irritated so Ms. Lucy has earned herself a trip to the vet! I'll try and post a pic while she's there. She's usually a pill on the way to the vet but once she gets there she's on her best behavior, which is odd to me but that's our "daughter".

1 comment:

Bobbi Lynn said...

The best! Can't wait to read more!